Ascham’s historical record is rich with artefacts and memories, carefully curated for future generations.
Cycling with Miss Wallis and Miss Whitfield 1898
Janet Barton, in front of Miss Bailey's study, last day of term 1928
Senior Classroom ca 1916
T M Scott Science lab 1959
The archives’ office and part of the collection are housed in The Octagon, a Georgian watchtower built in 1832 and the oldest building in Darling Point. The Octagon also has a small teaching museum on the second floor.
The Octagon, along with the rest of the School buildings, stands on land that formed part of the original Glenrock estate first settled by the Smith family in the early 1830s.
The archival collection holds the following format-based collections drawn from both the official records of the school and donations received from the school community:
The Ascham Archives is managed by a professional archivist, Marguerite Gillezeau, who can be contacted by email or by telephone on (02) 8356 7049 regarding donation and general reference enquiries.
Permission to conduct research leading to publication should be sought in writing to the Head of School.
The Archives are open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays throughout the year.