News

Ali crochets for koalas

After seeing the devastating impact of the NSW mid-north coast bushfires on our beloved native koalas, Year 12 student Ali Brand decided to put her crocheting talents to very good use.

‘I kept hearing about the thousands of koalas that were dying and the awful statistics that just seemed to grow every day,’ Ali said. ‘I felt so frustrated that such beautiful, and quintessentially Australian creatures, were disappearing. So I decided to combine my interest in craft, with my love for animals and make little crocheted koalas and sell them.’

Ali began crafting her miniature grey and pink koalas to sell to her friends and teachers here at Ascham, with all proceeds going to the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital. At just $20 for a lovingly homemade koala (plus $5 for an additional sweet gum leaf!) Ali was soon inundated with orders.

She garnered so much attention, that ABC Radio got in touch to feature her, and published a story on the ABC website too.

Ali has raised a significant amount of money, making a huge contribution to the recovery effort for Port Macquarie koalas and their habitat.

We thank Ali for being an active example of our Ascham values of kindness and community.

Recent News

Filter by:
Ascham School