News

‘Minnesota’, Alex’s Easter Show supreme Hereford!

It’s not often Ascham can claim a close connection with a prizewinning Hereford bull, but at this year’s Royal Easter Show, ‘Minnesota’, owned by the Kelley family, outclassed all the other stud bulls! Here, Year 11 boarder Alex Kelley describes her family’s Easter Show success in the ring.

‘Being a part of the Easter Show is a very special experience and it’s even more special when you have your animals there with you. This year my family had 16 head of cattle with us. I also love being a part of the show as it’s always really interesting to interact with showgoers who are not used to seeing these large animals. I love seeing how amazed people are by the cattle’s size and features, because to me it’s just something I’m used to.

My family’s farm (Warragundi Beef Company) breeds stud Hereford cattle and each year we take a team of cattle to not only the Sydney Royal Easter Show but many other agricultural shows around the New England region.

We have been attending the Royal Easter Show for about eight years now and this year was extremely special to my family. 2016 and 2017 were very exciting for us as we were awarded the most successful exhibitor and best presented team over five head for two years in a row. This year was a Hereford feature year, which means over 300 Hereford cattle come in from all over the state to compete. We had a very strong team of cattle but the competition was quite stiff.

Minnesota, one of our bulls, blew the judges away. PJ Budler is an international judge from Texas and he said that Minnesota ‘ticked all of the boxes’. Minnesota won his class of about 17 other beautiful bulls, then he proceeded to win grand champion bull and then supreme Hereford of the show. This meant that he was able to compete in the Urquhart Perpetual Trophy a few days later.

On the Monday morning, Mum, Dad and I gave Minnesota a wash, and took him up to the ring. He walked around beautifully against all of the other breeds, then the competition was narrowed down a few times and Minnesota was in each line, then they finally it was announced that he was the champion interbreed bull. It was amazing, but he still had to compete against the champion interbreed heifer for the Urquhart Trophy. Then he was awarded the trophy over the heifer! It was an amazing day.’

Photo credit: The Land

Recent News

Filter by:
Ascham School