News

Ascham girl receives Honourable Mention in Young Archies

A self-portrait painted by Year 3 student Zara Dempsey received an Honourable Mention in the 2016 Young Archie Competition at the Art Gallery of NSW. This competition coincides with Australia’s most prestigious art event, the Archibald Prize. Zara’s self-portrait, selected from 2,249 entries, received the Honourable Mention in the 5–8 years category. This wonderful work was hung in the SH Ervin (National Trust) Gallery on Observatory Hill.

Zara says:

I chose to paint myself because I am happy to be me and I have a good life with a great family. I painted myself with a paintbrush in my hand because art gives me joy and it has always been my favourite activity. I also painted myself in my school uniform because I love school and I love doing art with my two art teachers. Nearly everywhere I go, I see art in everything.

The study and practice of visual arts has always been a fundamental part of an Ascham education. Eight-year-old Zara Dempsey was selected from over 2,000 entries in the 2016 Young Archies.

Recent News

Filter by:
Ascham School