News

Year 11 girl selected for Yale Young Global Scholars Program

Claudia Frykberg, who is in Year 11, has been accepted into the highly coveted Yale Young Global Scholars Program to participate in the Politics, Law and Economics session to be held on the Yale University campus.

Claudia was thrilled to discover that she was one of only three students from Australia to be selected for the Politics, Law and Economics stream at Yale. The aim of the program is to bring together the best and brightest students from over 115 countries, exposing these young minds to global issues, international affairs and policy leadership—providing the students with an unforgettable experience. This year’s applicant pool was the largest, most diverse and most competitive group of applicants the Yale Young Global Scholars Program has ever received. The selection committee was overwhelmingly impressed by Claudia’s outstanding achievements, aspirations and enthusiasm of her application. Claudia is strong academically, as well as having competed at national level in swimming for many years. With swimming training commitments both before and after school, Claudia has been highly organised and motivated to achieve at such high levels in both academic and co-curricular domains. Claudia said, ‘Our Deputy Head of School, Mrs Drever, encouraged me to apply. With only a few days until the deadline I had to write an essay, secure references and get my academic transcripts together. I was at the Australian Swimming Championships in Adelaide when Yale contacted me to let me know I had been accepted, and I was so excited!’ Not one to be deterred, Claudia then decided to send an email to the Head of the Women’s Swim Team at Harvard University, and was pleased to learn that she has secured an interview to discuss her possible inclusion in the swim team at Harvard when she finishes school. The Head of School at Ascham, Mr Andrew Powell, said, ‘Claudia is highly deserving of this remarkable achievement. We are sure she will make the most of every moment studying among an extraordinary group of young people from all over the world.’ When she finishes school next year, Claudia hopes to travel to the United States to pursue her interests in arts, literature and media, as well as further her swimming aspirations by joining the swim team of one of America’s top universities.

Recent News

Filter by:
Ascham School