The Boarding Houses

Ascham offers a relaxed, friendly and home-like atmosphere in which the students grow in confidence and self-esteem, and are helped to reach their full potential in all areas of school life. In each of the five boarding houses, a Boarding Coordinator and a Head of House live in accommodation in the house.

boarding_houses_2
boarding_houses_1

The Boarding Coordinators play a vital role in promoting the values of Ascham. Every effort is made by the staff to create an environment in which the girls are treated as individuals, feel valued and secure. Each house has its own unique atmosphere but across all houses the girls and staff work together with warmth and respect. 

Duntrim House

Duntrim House is the most recent addition to our community of boarding houses. The heritage property has been newly renovated and expanded to create state-of-the-art accommodation for 60 girls, as well as staff, and opened at the beginning of Term 2 in 2016. The feedback from the girls is that they love the new facilities, which include a large Common Room, an intimate Reading Room, several informal break out areas, games facilities and a separate Year 12 House.

Duntrim, originally named "Duntruim", was built by the Macpherson family in about 1911 on the site of an earlier property called Glanworth. The Cohen family bought the house in 1922, renamed it Duntrim and over the years, made it into a substantially larger family home. The three Cohen children attended Ascham. The Cohen family sold the house to NSW Health in 1954, and Ascham bought Duntrim in 2011.

Fergusson House

Fergusson House/Patricia Johnson Wing is a purpose-built house situated in the heart of the school, near the Dining Room and overlooking Glenrock Gardens and the fountain. The Patricia Johnson Wing (known as PJ) has mostly single rooms and houses Senior girls. Fergusson is a vertical house with girls from Years 7 to 11 in a mixture of dorms housing between two and six girls. 

PJ was named after a Geography teacher who started teaching at Ascham in 1957. She took on the role of Senior Mistress until 1993. Fergusson House was named after Miss Wilsie Fergusson, a History teacher who started teaching at Ascham in 1926. She then took on the role of Senior Mistress (Deputy) and stood in as Acting Headmistress a number of times until 1965. 

Holmwood House

Holmwood House was built in 1910 and is a former family home bought by the school in 1968. It is located behind the Dining Room and houses only Year 11 and 12 girls. It is also the site of the school’s Health Centre. Both members of staff in Holmwood House are registered nurses and are part of the team that provides 24 hour nursing care at the school. 

Macintosh House

Macintosh House, originally called “The Knoll” was purchased from the Littlejohn family in 1931. It was renamed after Mrs Annie Jane Macintosh (nee Cornwall), who was a long-time friend and former pupil (in Rockhampton, QLD) of Miss Margaret Bailey, the school’s longest serving Headmistress. Mrs Macintosh worked at Ascham from 1915-1925. The AJ Macintosh Boarding Prize is also named after her. Macintosh is situated between the Dining Room and the Gymnasium. It is a vertical house with girls from Years 7 - 11 in a mixture of dorms housing between two and four girls.

Raine House

Raine House, originally called “Yo Merry” was purchased in 1961 from Edward R. Raine, a member of the Ascham Board from 1947 and its Chairman from 1954-1961. Raine is a former family home on the edge of the school site, located in a leafy garden with views of the city skyline in the distance. It houses Year 7 girls in a mixture of dorms of two to four girls, as well as three single rooms.

boarding_houses_main